SB359 introduced by Sen. Kraweic, Hise & Harrington HB602 introduced by Rep. McElraft, Conrad, Stevens & Hurly
- This bill is about infanticide. All Members of the General Assembly should be able to agree that, once born, all children deserve protection.
- Any so-called “right to abortion” does not extend to children born alive in the course of an attempted abortion. A “right to an abortion” should not translate to a right to a dead child no matter what. If a child survives an abortion, he or she should be treated with the same degree of medical concern and attention as any other child born prematurely at the same stage of development.
Are Abortion Survivors a Myth Made Up by Pro-Life Politicians?
Late-term procedures are carried out via methods designed to ensure fetal demise prior to delivery, primarily through the administration of a lethal injection into the baby’s head or heart or severing the umbilical cord so that the unborn child will bleed to death. The survival of a baby intended for abortion creates a host of potential legal and medical problems for the abortion practitioner. A watershed article that appeared in the Philadelphia Inquirer in 1981 referred to the survival of a baby after abortion as the “dreaded complication1.”
The Inquirer article quoted Dr. Willard Cates, then-director of abortion surveillance at the U.S.
Centers for Disease Control (CDC), as estimating “that 400 to 500 abortion live births” occurred every year in the United States. These numbers “are little known,” the article stated, “because organized medicine, from fear of public clamor and legal action, treats them more as an embarrassment to be hushed up than a problem to be solved.” The numbers were also likely low. Cates added, "It's like turning yourself in to the IRS for an audit. What is there to gain? The tendency is not to report because there are only negative incentives."
Read the Stories of infanticide...
Philadelphia abortionist Kermit Gosnell, 72, was charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of seven newborns and the death of one of his patients in 2010. Most disturbing among what they found was evidence of the intentional killing of babies who had survived Gosnell’s abortion procedures2.
According to the Washington Examiner, investigators of Gosnell’s Philadelphia abortion clinic described it as a “house of horrors.”2
- Gosnell severed the spines of hundreds of born alive babies with scissors. – Report of the Grand Jury XXIII MISC. NO.0009901-2008 in the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania
- Gosnell severed the spine of one breathing, moving, born-alive baby and put the body in a plastic shoebox for disposal. – Report of the Grand Jury XXIII MISC. NO.0009901-2008 in the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania
- One of the babies was reportedly moving and breathing for 20 minutes before an employee cut the spinal cord – Report of the Grand Jury XXIII MISC. NO.0009901-2008 in the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania
- One worker testified that a woman had delivered a large baby into the toilet before Gosnell arrived at work for the night. The baby was moving and looked like it was swimming. – Report of the Grand Jury XXIII MISC. NO.0009901-2008 in the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania
In an undercover video released in April 2013, a D.C. abortionist admitted he would not intervene to save an abortion survivor. When asked about a baby being born alive during an attempted abortion, he said, “usually, at this point in your pregnancy, it’s too early to survive, usually. It will expire shortly after birth...it’s all in how vigorously you do things to help a fetus survive at this point.” Later he said, “we would not help it [the baby]. Let’s say. We wouldn’t— we wouldn’t—uh, intubate, let’s say.” 3
In another undercover video released in March 2017, a former Planned Parenthood medical director said that in order to determine whether to provide medical intervention for these babies, “You need to pay attention to who’s in the room.” 4
Earlier cases abound. In 2005, a mother delivered her 23-week-old baby in the toilet at EPOC Clinic in Orlando, Florida, and was shocked to see him move. Abortion staff not only refused to help but turned away paramedics, whom her friend had notified by calling 911. Angele could do no more than helplessly sit on the floor rocking and singing to her baby for 11 minutes until he died.5
In 2006, Sycloria Williams delivered her 23-week-old baby boy on a recliner at A Gyn Diagnostic Center in Hialeah, Florida. When he began breathing and moving, abortion clinic owner Belkis Gonzalez cut the umbilical cord and zipped him into a biohazard bag, still alive and trashed the newborn in a cardboard. At 23 weeks, an otherwise healthy baby would have a legitimate chance of survival. Quadruplets born at 23 weeks in Nebraska survived.6
Jill Stanek testified before the House Judiciary Committee about her experience as a registered nurse in the Labor and Delivery Department at Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn, Illinois, where she discovered babies being aborted alive and shelved to die in the department’s soiled utility closet. She said, “I was traumatized and changed forever by my experience of holding a little abortion survivor for 45 minutes until he died, a 21/22-week-old baby who had been aborted because he had Down syndrome. Hear her testimony and more from abortion survivors at TheAbortionSurvivors.com and listen to abortion survivors Melissa Ohden7 and Gianna Jessen,8 deliver moving testimony before the House Judiciary Committee.
1 Abortion Dreaded Complication (1981) Philadelphia Inquirer (1981) http://digitalcollections.library.cmu.edu/awweb/awarchive?type=file&item=693589" \h
2 58 horrific details from the Kermit Gosnell trial that you do not want to read (2013) Washington Examiner https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/58-horrific- details-from-the-kermit-gosnell-trial-that-you-do-not-want-to-read
3 Undercover Live Action Video (2013) – YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxOWyumLufA
4 Undercover Live Action Video (2017) – https://www.liveaction.org/news/video-former-planned-parenthood-medical-director-says-aborted-children-can-come-out-looking-like-a-baby/
5 Abortion Staff ignores Baby Boy Born Alive (2005) https://www.wnd.com/2005/04/30006/
6 Baby Trashed After Botched Abortion (2009) CBS News https://www.cbsnews.com/news/baby-trashed-after-botched-abortion/
7 Melissa Ohden Testimony Before Congress on Abortion (2015) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EjHWxFbah8
8 Gianna Jessen testimony before Congress (2015) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Wwgh7kdKM