Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools piloted the Welcoming Schools curriculum (K-5) during the 2016-17 school year, and the district is expanding the program to additional CMS elementary schools in the 2017-18 school year. The are also reports other schools in other counties are planning to introduce the curriculum as well. The information on this page will help you understand what the Welcoming Schools transgender curriculum is all about so you can be informed about what your children will be learning.
NC Values Coalition believes that North Carolina Schools ought to allow staff to teach students to be respectful of each other regardless of differences. It is the role of families to address topics such as alternative lifestyles and gender confusion when they feel it is developmentally appropriate and within the privacy of their own homes.
If you agree, here are six ways you can help us spread the word, and protect the privacy rights of parents and children:
- SIGN: Sign the Petition to your local School Board stating that the Welcoming Schools transgender curriculum is inappropriate for my local elementary school, and that it's the responsibility of parents, not schools, to address topics of alternative lifestyles and gender confusion when they feel it is developmentally appropriate and within the privacy of their own homes.
- SHARE: Share this PDF document and this page with your family, friends, and church.
- CONTACT: Contact your local school board, principles, and teachers, and ask them if the Welcoming Schools curriculum is being taught in their schools.
- REPORT: After hearing back from your local schools, take this survey and share with us whether they're planning on implementing the Welcoming Schools curriculum.
- ATTEND: Signup to attend our local Parents Workshop in Charlotte on Thursday, October 26th at 7PM or signup to host your own. We'll provide you with all the materials you need.
- DONATE: Help us support the effort to protect the privacy rights of parents and children in your community by making a $5, $10, $25, or $50 donation that ensures we have the resources needed to make the biggest impact possible.