Welcome to the Friday Five! Every Friday we share our top five articles, stories, and quotes for you to read and share with your friends and church families.
1. EVENT: Calling all 170+ churches and supporters that participated with us to come back for November 17th's Week 40: Celebrate Life Prayer Walk
Join fellow pro-lifers and Love Life tomorrow in Charlotte, Greensboro or Raleigh as we unite the body of Christ to stand for Love and Life. If you live in another state, we invite you to tune into Love Life's Facebook Live feed during the entire event.
If you haven't done so, please RSVP and let us know you're coming: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/week-40-celebrate-life-prayer-walk-tickets-50836889505
Also watch this video for more information.
2. WASHINGTON EXAMINER: As religious freedom law turns 25, vast majority of Democrats oppose what Bill Clinton signed into law
"In the last two months before the election, 50 House Democrats became new cosponsors on a bill gutting the 25-year-old Religious Freedom Restoration Act. That brought the total to 172 House Democrats, a solid majority of their party, who now support H.R. 3222. They are ready to undo RFRA as a prominent part of the agenda as their party takes control of the House.
H.R. 3222 would declare that religious freedoms must yield when they run counter to the LGBTQ agenda or to other progressive causes such as abortion rights. Pushing this are progressive groups which claim that religious beliefs are just a cover for discrimination, bigotry, and hate.
It’s all an about-face from Nov. 16, 1993, when President Bill Clinton signed RFRA after almost-unanimous approval by Congress. Only three nay votes had been cast."
3. DAILY WIRE: Berkley Christian student senator pressured to resign for abstaining from vote for religious beliefs
"A Christian student senator at the University of California, Berkeley, is being ousted from her position after abstaining from a resolution that condemns the Trump administration for considering narrowing the definition of gender.
The resolution was introduced on October 31, and in response, Isabella Chow gave a statement explaining why she could not vote on the resolution because of her Christian beliefs."
"Florida parents are furious after their children were shown a graphic, Planned Parenthood sex-ed video without their consent.
The video, shown to seniors at Pine View High School, included same-sex couples making out and a man grabbing a woman’s breast.
'Asking for consent doesn’t have to be awkward. Asking for consent can be kind of sexy,' the narrator said.
Television station WFLA said some of the images were so graphic they were unsuitable for broadcast."
5. WRAL: Final ballots could swing several legislative races
"Six legislative seats, the most in recent memory, are within the 1 percent margin for a recount:
- Democrat Harper Peterson leads Sen. Michael Lee, R-New Hanover, by 36 votes in Senate District 9. New Hanover County elections officials said they have 1,200 provisional ballots and 600 absentee ballots that arrived after 5 p.m. Tuesday.
- Democrat Kirk deViere leads Sen. Wesley Meredith, R-Cumberland, by 306 votes in Senate District 19.
- Democrat Michael Garrett leads Sen. Trudy Wade, R-Guilford, by 763 votes in Senate District 27.
- Rep. Stephen Ross, R-Alamance, leads Democrat Erica McAdoo by 295 votes in House District 63.
- Democrat Christy Clark leads Rep. John Bradford, R-Mecklenburg, by 333 votes in House District 98.
- Rep. Bill Brawley, R-Mecklenburg, leads Democrat Rachel Hunt by 52 votes in House District 103."
WEEKLY PRAYER: LIBERTY
LORD, you are the giver of life and liberty. You are the One in whom we find true freedom. We pray with the deepest of gratitude, because you've broken our chains of depravity, and have gifted us a freedom born in love and service.
LORD, may we not take our liberties lightly. Even today, our brothers and sisters all across the globe experience physical, emotional, and social torture because they rightly cry out: "JESUS IS LORD!" Every day, our brethren across the globe experience persecution, and this has been a shared story of the church since its inception.
LORD, we also bring these specific prayer requests to you, and pray that your Spirit may empower our petitions: LORD, on the 25th anniversary of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, we pray for its protection. We pray that you would inspire legislators to defend and advance it. LORD, we also pray for protection over those individuals and their homes in California who are experiencing the devastation of the numerous wildfires. Finally, we also pray for all the participants of tomorrow's Love Life event. We pray for their protection, and that through their peaceful and prayerful participation, your Spirit would move to save the lives of babies from abortion.
“For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.” (Romans 8:2)
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because He has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” (Luke 4:18-19)