1. NC VALUES: NC Values Endorses Dale Folwell for NC Treasurer. Watch our NC Values Voice interview with Folwell at ncvalues.org/voice
You can also read about our endorsement of Dale Folwell for NC Secretary of State here.
2. VP PENCE IN RALEIGH: Live event moderated by NC Values' Tami Fitzgerald and SBA List's Marjorie Dannenfelser, featuring Vice President Mike Pence in Raleigh NC
3. WRAL: Abortion providers sue over NC waiting period, other restrictions
“Abortion providers and advocacy groups sued the state's top lawmakers Thursday in state court, saying a mandatory waiting period and other restrictions passed years ago violate constitutional rights.
The filling comes the same day Vice President Mike Pence visits Raleigh for an event featuring abortion opponents.
The lawsuit targets a number of state laws, including:”
- A 72-hour waiting period, which starts counting down after a woman gets mandatory counseling
- The requirement that abortions must only be performed by qualified licensed physicians.
- A ban on physician assistants, nurse-midwives and nurse practitioners providing abortions
- A ban on using telehealth for medication abortions
- A requirement that providers deliver medically accurate information to abortion-minded women, including the health and emotional risks of an abortion.
The suit seeks to repeal these health and safety laws passed by the General Assembly that protect women seeking an abortion from shoddy medical practices in abortion clinics. It is interesting to note that abortionists (who have a vested profit motif), not the women who seek abortions, are the plaintiffs in the suit.
4. WECT: NC lawmakers pass $1 billion COVID-19 relief bill, including expansion of Opportunity Scholarship Program, which now heads to Gov. Cooper’s desk
The bill also includes expanding the Opportunity Scholarship and providing PPE to private schools with Opportunity Scholarship students:
- Appropriates $250,000 for PPE for private schools that have students attending who receive the Opportunity Scholarship.
- Removes the 40% cap on funds eligible to new students entering Kindergarten or 1st Grade.
- Raises the income limits for new students to qualify for Opportunity Scholarships from 133% of the amount required to qualify for the free or reduced lunch program to 150%.
To learn more about the efforts of Democrats to push a lawsuit to kill the opportunity scholarship, check out this great Civitas editorial. Also check out this video from Clarence Henderson on the importance of the fight for school choice.
5. POTUS: President Donald J. Trump Releases Letter to Pro-Life Leaders on Pro-Life Commitments
Read the letter here, as well as the Susan B. Anthony's List website on President Trump's pro-life accomplishments here.
WEEKLY PRAYER: LIFE
LORD, we recognize that you are Sovereign over all creation. We recognize you made man from the dust, and in your mercy crowned creation with man and woman made in your image. What a wonder it is that you would bestow upon us this blessing and responsibility!
We pray LORD that we would not take this for granted. We pray that both this great responsibility, and this great dignity, may motivate us to love you more, love our neighbor more, and love ourselves more
LORD, may we as a culture truly see and believe that children are a blessing from the LORD—born or unborn; able or disabled. All children should have an opportunity to experience the liberty of life.
"At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, 'Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?' He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: 'Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me. If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.'" (Matthew 18:1-6)
North Carolina Values Coalition