NC Values Coalition Joins National Coalition Rejecting the Nomination of Becerra for Health and Human Services Secretary
Today, the North Carolina Values Coalition announced their opposition to the nomination of Xavier Becerra, California’s Attorney General, as the next Secretary of Health and Human Services. Our review has proven Mr. Becerra is the most divisive and radical nominee still awaiting confirmation. At a time when President Biden is calling for unity, Mr. Becerra’s nomination sends the exact opposite message. He would further divide the country by pushing a radical agenda that most of the country opposes.
“Time and time again, Mr. Becerra has proven himself to be an enemy of the health of women and the unborn. A review of his leadership decisions during the pandemic, his voting record while in Congress, and his most recent service as Attorney General should concern all North Carolinians. Mr. Becerra cannot be entrusted with our national health programs and policies and is unqualified to serve as Secretary of Health and Human Services,” according to Tami Fitzgerald, NC Values Executive Director.
- NC Values Coalition, along with 62 other organizations and leaders, sent a letter to Senate leaders on February 18th voicing their strong opposition to the nomination of Mr. Becerra.
- Despite a Supreme Court ruling in favor of the Little Sisters of the Poor, Mr. Becerra took additional legal action against the nuns and similar groups to force them to violate their consciences. The U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor & Pensions and the U.S. Senate Committee on Finance will hold confirmation hearings this week on the Becerra nomination.
- North Carolina Senator Richard Burr is the ranking member of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor & Pensions. Many conservatives are continuing to watch Senator Burr's votes closely after he was widely criticized and censured following his vote to convict former President Trump following the impeachment trial earlier this month.
- Becerra abused his statewide office to target pro-life health centers and journalists, taking pregnancy centers to court to enforce California’s so-called Reproductive FACT Act. He futilely sought to force government-compelled speech on pro-life individuals who refused to direct women to abortion centers.
- Becerra sought to intimidate and prosecute journalists David Daleiden and Sandra Merritt after their reporting uncovered the unethical and likely illegal sale of aborted baby body parts by Planned Parenthood. Mr. Becerra sought 15 felony charges for recording 14 videos against these journalists, a move that even the Los Angeles Times Editorial Board called “a disturbing overreach.”
NC Values Coalition members are encouraged to call NC Senator Richard Burr at (202) 224-3154 and NC Senator Thom Tillis at (202) 224-6342. Ask them both to vote NO on Becerra's Senate confirmation. #StopBecerra