Yesterday, we received two clear messages on the direction major political parties want to take our country, and what they think about you and your values.
On one side was President Trump and his State of the Union address, where he laid out the case for a "Great American Comeback." On the other side was Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who instead decided to make a "Great Stink" by ripping the President's speech to pieces before live cameras.
We think the image is telling, and proves just what's at stake this election year. It begs us to ask, just what was in President Trump's speech that the Speaker found so vile that she would pull such a petty stunt and a breach of decorum?
We believe the answer is in the speech itself. Last night, the President not only made a powerful case for our strong economy and American exceptionalism, but he spoke in length about how he has defended and advanced the values you care about most.
Last night, we learned that the state of the Union under his leadership is one focused on protecting life, liberty, and the family. We wanted to share some of the quotes from the President's speech that discussed the values you care about most:
On the State of Pro-Life Values (Infanticide, Neonatal Care, and Banning Late Term Abortion):
- "As we pray for all who are sick we know that America is constantly achieving new medical breakthroughs. In 2017 doctors at St. Luke’s Hospital in Kansas City delivered one of the earliest premature babies ever to survive. Born at just 21 weeks and 6 days and weighing less than a pound Ellie Schneider was a born fighter. Through the skill of her doctors and the prayers of her parents little Ellie kept on winning the battle of life. Today Ellie is a strong healthy two-year-old girl sitting with her amazing mother Robin in the Gallery. . . .
- Ellie reminds us that every child is a miracle of life. And thanks to modern medical wonders 50 percent of very premature babies delivered at the hospital where Ellie was born now survive. It’s an incredible thing. Thank you very much.
- Our goal should be to ensure that every baby has the best chance to thrive and grow just like Ellie. That is why I’m asking Congress to provide an additional $50 million to fund neonatal research for America’s youngest patients.
- That is why I’m also calling upon members of Congress here tonight to pass legislation finally banning the late-term abortion of babies. Whether we are Republican Democrat or independent surely we must all agree that every human life is a sacred gift from God.”
On the State of Pro-Family Values (Opportunity Scholarship and School Choice):
- "The next step forward in building an inclusive society is making sure that every young American gets a great education and the opportunity to achieve the American Dream. Yet for too long countless American children have been trapped in failing government schools. To rescue these students 18 states have created school choice in the form of Opportunity Scholarships. The programs are so popular that tens of thousands of students remain on a waiting list."
- "Now I call on Congress to give one million American children the same opportunity Janiyah has just received. Pass the Education Freedom Scholarships and Opportunities Act — because no parent should be forced to send their child to a failing government school.”
On the State of Pro-Religious Liberty Values (Judicial Appointments, Prayer, and Religious Liberty):
- "With every action my administration is restoring the rule of law and reasserting the culture of American freedom. (Applause.) Working with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell — thank you Mitch — and his colleagues in the Senate we have confirmed a record number of 187 new federal judges to uphold our Constitution as written. This includes two brilliant new Supreme Court justices Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh. Thank you. And we have many in the pipeline.
- My administration is also defending religious liberty and that includes the constitutional right to pray in public schools. In America we don’t punish prayer. We don’t tear down crosses. We don’t ban symbols of faith. We don’t muzzle preachers and pastors. In America we celebrate faith we cherish religion we lift our voices in prayer and we raise our sights to the Glory of God."
>>> When Speaker Pelosi chose to rip the President's speech, she was showing the world that if candidates who share her values get elected to office, they will rip pro-life, pro-family, and pro-religious liberty values to shreds. This display is the perfect illustration of why the NC Values Coalition is working across the state to get candidates elected who will stop that from happening.
>>> If you support our important 2020 election work, would you consider making a needed $500, $250, $100, $75, $50, or $25 donation today?
NC Values Coalition
PS: Want to stop politicians like Pelosi from ripping up your rights? The place to start is to register to vote! This Friday, February 7th, is the last day to register to vote on primary election day. If you're not already registered to vote, what are you waiting for?! We've built you a toolkit to easily access links to register to vote, check your voter registration, get an absentee ballot, and even find your local precinct. We've even sponsored the iVoterGuide, which helps you find candidates to vote for who share your values. Check it out!